Ground Guidance is patented software that plans fast and concealed routes on- and off-road for dismounted and mounted soldiers. Primordial developed Ground Guidance under contracts with the Army Geospatial Center (AGC); Communications-Electronics Research, Development, and Engineering Center (CERDEC); Product Manager (PM) Movement Tracking System (MTS); Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA); and others.
What products are available?
- Ground Guidance SDK. Ground Guidance SDK is a .NET DLL written in C# that runs on Windows as well as Android and Linux (via Mono).
- Ground Guidance Web Service. Ground Guidance Web Service is a .NET web service that supports SOAP and HTTP protocols.
What can it do?
- Fast route. Ground Guidance generates the fastest route between two points.
- Movement projection. Movement projection enables one to predict the likely location of an entity (e.g. a downed pilot or sniper fleeing an area) given a last known location, travel duration, and transportation mode.
- Urban routing. In addition to routing in mountainous and woodland terrain, Ground Guidance supports urban routing.
- Alternate routes. Ground Guidance supports planning any number of alternate routes between two points. This facilitates planning primary, alternate, contingent, and emergency (PACE) routes before or during a mission.
- Intervisibility. Ground Guidance analyzes man-made and natural features to calculate accurate view sheds. Ground Guidance is unique in that it incorporates an optical vegetation penetration model to perform its analysis.
- Road routing. In addition to off-road routing, Ground Guidance supports performing state-of-the-art on-road routing for tactical and logistical vehicles. Ground Guidance supports displaying turn-by-turn directions and preferentially routing along main supply routes (MSRs) and alternate supply routes (ASRs).
- Randomized routes. Ground Guidance supports generating randomized routes to reduce predictability during patrols and commutes.
- Multi-resolution routing. To achieve rapid rerouting on resource-constrained handheld platforms, Primordial developed a patent-pending multi-resolution routing algorithm that starts with a coarse map and refines routes over time.
- Differential routing. In addition to fast and concealed routes, Ground Guidance supports maximizing relative advantage along a route.
Route check. Similar to Microsoft Word’s spell check, Ground Guidance’s route check highlights potential dangers along a route (e.g. steep terrain, marshy areas, and exposed positions).
- Graphic processing unit (GPU) routing. To leverage the hundreds of GPUs present on modern graphics cards, Primordial developed a GPU-based routing algorithm that is 22X faster than the CPU-based equivalent.
What maps are available?
- Zoom to a location
- Draw a bounding box
- Download the map
Primordial's map server software can be used on a local server or on a public facing website. The server is pre-populated with the elevation and land cover data data needed to generate a Ground Guidance route-able map.